Managing community geofences is privilege based. Dashboard administrators must have the “Add/Edit Standard & Community Geofences” to draw, edit or delete community geofences. Follow the steps below to create and enable community geofences.
- Click on the white “LiveSafe” button at the top right of your events map and select either “Draw Geofence (Circle)” or “Draw Geofence (Custom)”
- Using your cursor, locate the area on the events map where you want to draw your geofence. If drawing a circle, your first click will be its center. Hold, drag out to the desired size, and release to complete the circle. If drawing a custom shape, click to add points outlining the desired region.
- Close the custom geofence shape by clicking on the first point added. As a best practice, draw your geofence a little larger than you think you may need (e.g. add the equivalent of a city block or two in every direction). This will help convey the appropriate information when using geofences for geo-targeted broadcast messaging and auto-prompting (enterprise structures) for those nearby but not necessarily within the geofence.
- In the dialog box that appears, fill in the “Name” and “Description” fields
- If you want this geofence visible to app users when they are viewing the Safety Map on their mobile device, check the “Show in the Safety Map” box.
- Check the “Upon entry, prompt user to join Community” box ; if left unchecked, the geofence created will remain a Standard Geofence.
- Click the blue “Save” button to create your geofence
Once saved, the geofence will be shaded green on the event map instead of blue, like a standard geofence. You can use this geofence strictly for auto-prompting users to join app communities as well as for sending a broadcast or check-in message.
Note: Because community geofences can be large by nature, once they are drawn and saved, they default to hidden. Follow the steps below to view all community geofences:
- Using the worldview picker, navigate to the desired community dashboard.
- Click on the white “LiveSafe” button located at the top right of your events map.
- Select “Show Community Geofences”.
- To hide all community geofences, select “Hide Community Geofences” from the same menu.